Apple & Pear Strudel Cups
- mixing bowl
- cup cake tin/ mould
- cooking brush
- 2 granny smith apples
- 1 pear
- 2 tbsp honey You can use maple syrup as an alternative too.
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 whole orange zest
- pinch salt
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- 9 filo pastry sheets
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Place a medium pot on a low heat. Add finely diced apples and pears into the pot ( keep skin on). Next add the ground cinnamon, salt, honey, corn flour, zest from one whole orange and water.
- Mix well and cover with a lid. Let it cook for approximately 25 minutes, until the apple and pears are semi soft. Stir intermittently. Remove from heat and let the mixture cool down.
- Now it is time for filo pastry preparation. In a soup size bowl add the olive oil and brown sugar. Mix well. However, expect to see the granulated sugar in the mix – this is perfect!
- Place one sheet of filo on a board or bench. Using a brush, delicately brush the olive oil and sugar mix on top. It doesn't need to be drenched on top, just lightly coated.
- Repeat this for 2 additional sheets (total of 3 sheets). Keep layering each filo pastry sheet on-top of the other. Once completed, cut the filo sheets into half and then half again (creating a square).
- Place the squared filo pastry sheet into your cupcake pan and then place 2 tablespoons of mixture into the middle. Using your fingers push the excess filo pastry around the mould, to make it round and fit into the mould nicely. Repeat this process until all your filo and mixture have been used.
- Place in the oven and bake for approximately 20 minutes, until the filo pastry has become golden brown.