(Veggie Loaded) Beef Bolognese Sauce
- 1 brown onion
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 500 gm beef mince
- 1.5 cup diced carrot Approx. 2 carrots
- 2 cup diced eggplant Approx. half a large eggplant
- 1.5 cup diced zucchini Approx. half a large zucchini
- 2 bay leaves (dried)
- 1 cup vegetable / beef stock This is optional, as the flavours will still be full of deliciousness!
- 1.5 tbsp dried oregano You can also use fresh oregano (2 twigs).
- 2 tins diced tomatoes Total: 800gram
- salt & pepper generous pinch, personal preference.
- 2 twigs of basil
- In a large pot add the olive oil and diced brown onion.
- Once onions have become golden, add the minced beef.
- Once the beef has browned add stock, carrots, eggplant and zucchini.
- Once the liquid has come to the boil add the bay leaves, diced tomatoes, oregano and salt and pepper. Optional extra: You can place the fresh basil at this point.
- Mix well and place on a low heat. Place lid on top and let it cook for at least 1.5 – 2 hours (the longer the better).
- This sauce tastes even better and richer after it has been frozen. I find the flavours fuse exceptionally well in the freezer. Give it a try, its seriously yum!