Aromatic Fish Cakes
- 1/2 cup finely chopped coriander
- 500 g minced fish I used equal portions of deep sea cod and hake.
- 1 tsp kafir lime zest you can use lime or lemon zest too.
- 1 tsp salt & pepper
- 1.5 tbsp cooking sake
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp grated ginger I used a microplane.
- 1 grated carrot I used a microplane.
- 1/2 cup corn flour
- 1/2 cup diced leek (white part)
- 4 cups semolina flour
- rice bran oil
- Place all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl (besides the semolina flour).
- Using your bare hands or with cooking gloves, give the mixture a very thorough mix. This recipe works best if it is made the night before serving, It allows the flavours to fuse together.
- When it is time to serve the fish cakes, pre-heat a large fry pan with oil (I use rice bran oil).
- In a bowl add semolina flour.
- Using your bare hands or cooking gloves take your mixture and roll it into balls, then coat it in the semolina flour before placing it into the fry pan. Use a fork to gently flatten the balls. Let it cook for at least 5 minutes each side to ensure it becomes golden brown.
- I serve the fish cakes on lettuce cups. When I serve it to adults I add a dash of sweet chilli sauce – Yum!